Get to know these common terms that can help you understand your benefits.

Coinsurance

How you and your medical plan share costs after you meet the plan’s annual deductible (if applicable). For example, your plan may cover 85% of charges for a covered hospitalization, leaving you responsible for the other 15%. This 15% is known as the coinsurance.

Deductible

The amount you owe for health care services before your plan begins to pay. For example, if your annual deductible is $2,500, your plan won't pay anything until you've reached that amount first. The exceptions are preventive care services, which are covered at 100%, and preventive prescriptions, covered at either the medical plan's coinsurance level or at 100%, with no deductible at in-network providers.

Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

An optional spending account you can use to pay for eligible dependent day care expenses, including licensed nursery school and child care centers, private day care providers and nannies, licensed care for disabled dependents and care for an elderly parent whom you claim as a dependent on your tax return and whom resides in your home at least half of the year. You contribute to this FSA through automatic, pre-tax payroll deductions. You can participate in a Dependent Care FSA and an HSA at the same time.

Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

An optional arrangement you may set up through H&R Block to pay for eligible health care expenses — including deductibles and coinsurance for medical, dental and vision care — with tax-free dollars. You contribute to your FSA through automatic, before-tax payroll deductions. FSAs have a “use it or lose it” rule, meaning that any money left in your FSA at year-end is forfeited. If you participate in a Health Savings Account (HSA), IRS regulations prohibit you from enrolling in a standard Health Care FSA.

Health Savings Account (HSA)

A medical savings account used in conjunction with a high deductible health plan that allows you to pay for eligible medical expenses — including deductibles, coinsurance and copays for medical, dental and vision care — with tax-free dollars. Unlike a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), all of the money in your HSA rolls over from year to year and is always yours to keep. For example, you may use the money in your HSA to pay for eligible health expenses in retirement.

Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

An optional arrangement you may set up through H&R Block to pay for eligible dental and vision expenses — includes deductible and coinsurance — with tax-free dollars. You contribute to your Limited Purpose FSA through automatic, before-tax payroll deductions. FSAs have a “use it or lose it” rule, meaning that any money left in your Limited Purpose FSA at year-end is forfeited. You can participate in the Limited Purpose FSA and a HSA at the same time.

Out-of-pocket maximum

The most you'll ever pay in a plan year for covered expenses. Once the out-of-pocket maximum is met, your plan pays 100% of covered services for the rest of the year.

Premiums

A fixed amount that you automatically contribute from each paycheck for coverage under a medical plan. Premiums can vary widely by the type of plan you choose.

Preventive care

In-network preventive care is fully covered under all of H&R Block’s medical plans, so you pay nothing. Preventive care includes routine care designed to prevent illness or disease, including annual physicals, immunizations and mammograms. If the same tests are done to diagnose an illness or treat a known condition, they are not considered preventive care and your plan’s normal charges will apply. Be sure to confirm with your medical provider whether services are considered preventive, and therefore covered with no deductible and no copays, before you receive the services.